Monday, January 16, 2012

The 50 Greatest Players In NBA History - The Bottom Ten

On June 22nd 2009 I ambitiously set out to revise the 50 greatest players in NBA history list. It seemed like a good idea at the time, and so I wrote an introductory blog explaining why I was doing it and, among other things, why Reggie Miller didn't fit in the group. In fact, I might have started that whole project just to explain why Reggie sucks. Who knows? Anyway, on July 10, 2009 I put in my second installment, entitled "The Last 12 Out." Click the link if you need a refresher course on those twelve, the group that just didn't make my cut.

And then ... I kept blogging about other things. I kept the idea in my mind, but Bill Simmons came out with a book which essential did this very thing in 2010, and my computer with the original list from 2009 began to have issues, so I didn't have easy access to the spreadsheet. Or maybe I just didn't go on with the list because, you know, I really just wanted to rip on Reggie. He does suck, after all.

But never fear, sports fans: I am as strong headed as they come, and I don't hesitate to put out an idea, fail to follow through on it for years, then come back to it at a moments notice. Remember my plans to chronicle all the teams in the NFL, MLB and NBA in a power ranking of my favorite to least favorite? I entitled those three posts "The Ultimate Rankings." And don't you worry, I'm sure I'll finish them sometime too ... although I'll undoubtedly have to reconsider them by the time I do. LeBron will probably be retired by then, and Peyton almost certainly will be. At any rate, I'm coming back to the 50 greatest revisited right now, because my mind can't stare at the COA standards for my practicum a minute more. To keep it fair to the initial intent, this is how I felt in 2009, after the 2008-2009 finals (Kobe's fourth title), and prior to Simmons book. I encourage you to look back at the two previous posts under "50 Greatest" to review my bullet proof logic. And now, on to the bottom ten.

50. Allen Iverson - SG - Philadelphia/Denver/Detroit/Memphis

And ... I just lost my uncle. So now there are two of you reading this. His stated dislike of the N.G.A. aside, I did think long and hard about Iverson's career when originally formulating these rankings. I considered his style of play, which was helped by the emphasis on street ball in the ost Jordan (the second time) era. I considered his lack of a championship, and his lack of an average shooting percentage (.425 for his career, a point which I drove home in a Sophomore year of high school speech entitled "Why Michael Jordan is better at 39 in a Wizards Uniform Than any Player in the NBA Period ... and if you don't agree then you SUCK" repeatedly). I considered his general demeanor and his video clips (yes ... click for the "Practice" link ... and for fun, count how many times he says the word).

But here's what I kept coming back to: was there every a player with his stature who was able to put his body through what he did, night in and night out? In the history of the game I can't think of one. His final numbers reflect that of a cold and calculated scorer (26.7ppg, 3.7rpg, 6.2apg), but he also played an insane 41.1 minutes per game over his career. Iverson actually played in over 40 minutes per game 12 straight years, only missing 14 straight because he only averaged 39.4 his second year in the league. That is an insane amount of work for a player of his size. And the final tie breaker, for me, was the one team he carried to the finals to lose to Shaq's Lakers. That team was awful, and that might not be a strong enough word. Matt Geiger. Eric Snow. Aaron Mckie. Outside of an aging Mutombo in the middle, there was nobody worth anything. And Iverson carried them to the finals, and then WON A GAME against Shaq and Kobe. He wasn't a player I'd want on my team, but he was inside the top 50 all time ... I just can't put him any higher than this. And, oh by the way, in the year he took the 76ers to the finals he averaged 46.2 minutes per game over 22 games.

49. Paul Pierce - SF - Boston Celtics

Pierce has done nothing but make this ranking look solid since 2009. He has put in two more quality years as the best player on a good Boston team. While his scoring has decreased slightly, he has now made it twelve straight years scoring at least 18 points per game. His career averages indicate a swing man you could build a winner around (22.1ppg, 6.1rpg, 3.8apg, 1.5spg). Pierce has never been a shut down defender, but he has worked his way into the category of good team defender. He works hard, and he combined with Ray Allen (#58) and Kevin Garnett to bring basketball back to Boston in a meaningful way. He has been a nine time all-star, won the finals MVP in 2008, and made three All-NBA 3rd teams and one All-NBA 2nd team. The biggest argument against him is that he never finished higher than 7th in MVP voting, and only once finished in the top ten. But Pierce is one of the toughest players of his generation, and when I drew up this rankings I assumed he'd win a second title in Boston. While that looks unlikely to happen, he continues to be a top player in the NBA, so I'm okay with leaving him here.

48. Dave Bing - G - Detroit/Washington/Boston

Back to old(er) school players with a Piston who the fans have ranked #126. I'll give Bing the benefit of the doubt for a few reasons. One, he played on some bad Detroit teams, yet found a way to keep the teams competitive. His career averages (20.3ppg, 3.8rpg, 6.0apg) are not mind blowing, but I'm giving Bing credit for his peak (27.1ppg, 4.7rpg, 6.4apg) and for being an Iverson-like player in an era where that player was not likely to be as successful. I'm very happy to admit I was probably way off on this ranking, as looking at peripheral recognition (7 All-Star nods, 3 starts, 3 top ten finishes for MVP but none higher than 3rd) would indicate. But Bing at his apex was enough for me to put him here.

47. Nate Thurmond - C - San Francisco (Golden State)/Chicago/Cleveland

Okay, time for a confession: I've always had a soft spot for Nate Thurmond. And, in the interest of full disclosure, I know that doesn't make any sense given that Nate retired when I was nine years away from being born. But as I began my dive into sports fandom, I became fascinated with Nate, the center who was overshadowed by Wilt, later Kareem. It always seemed (in hindsight) that he was forced to play second or third fiddle, when in most other eras he would have been more appreciated. And maybe that's true. Or maybe it's not, and in that case it is simply possible that as an elementary school child I became fascinated with the concept that this guy was a hell of a center, but not quite good enough to get recognized as an All-Time Great. He finished his career with 15.0ppg, 15.0rpg, and 2.7apg, and was known as a good defender and shot blocker in an era before they counted blocks. He made 7 All-Star teams, played in 5 and started in two. He made five all-defensive teams, and finished in the top ten of MVP voting 3 times (second once!). But, in light of Bing being at 48, I'm starting to think I was off base when I drew up these ratings.

46. Robert Parish - C - Golden State/Boston/Charlotte/Chicago

The other day I was driving home and on the sports radio they were talking about Parish ... I don't know why. I also don't know why, but I imagined I was asked "what teams did he play for" and I knew that if I got that question on who wants to be a millionaire I'd nail it. I loved basketball cards in the early 1990s. At any rate, Parish is a little lower here than most people would have him, but he played in Bird and McHale's shadow. He was a great center though, finishing with career averages of 14.5ppg and 9.1rpg, numbers which were brought down because of his longevity. He played til he was 43 and picked up one last ring with Jordan's Bulls. He made 9 All-Star teams, two All-NBA teams, had two years in the top ten of MVP voting, and was a Hall of Fame center on a Celtics dynasty team. Good enough for me.

45. Kevin McHale - F - Boston

McHale, Simmons has pointed out, had a wider and more effective repertoire of post moves than just about anyone. At his apex he was momentarily on a level near Bird (26.1ppg, 9.9rpg), and he made seven All-Star teams, won the sixth man of the year award twice, and was a six time all-defensive team member (once all-NBA). Besides that, he was a winner, and I give credence to that.

44. Nate Archibald - G - Cincinnati (Kansas City)/New York/Boston/Milwaulkee

"Tiny" was a point guard who led the league in assists and points per game ... in the same year. He was like Iverson on crack: more dynamic scoring, much better passing. His career also petered out quickly due to injuries, age, and ineffectiveness. He made six All-Star teams, had five top ten finishes in the MVP voting, made five All-NBA teams (three first, two second), and was a role player on a Celtics championship team.

43. Jason Kidd - G - Dallas/Phoenix/New Jersey/Dallas

Career averages of 13.2ppg, 6.5rpg, 9.1apg and 2.0spg speak volumes about his versatility, but his ability to reinvent himself as a three point assassin late in his career, his devotion to quality defense, and his ability to run a team transcend those numbers. It's sad to see him now, as washed up as he is, but the poor guy is 38. That also makes me feel old, as I remember when he was drafted. At least he outlasted Mashburn and Jackson. He'll always have that.

42. Dave DeBusschere - G/F - Detroit/New York

Career numbers of 16.1ppg and 11.0rpg for this defensive maniac from the 60s and 70s. 8 All-star appearances, 6 all-defensive teams, and two championships for the Knicks.

41. Walt Frazier - G - New York/Cleveland

It always amuses me to see the teams that some of these legends ended up on. Who really could remember that "Clyde" finished up with parts of three seasons in Cleveland? His career numbers (18.9ppg, 5.9rpg 6.1apg) demonstrate how well rounded he was. Seven All-Star nods (all starts), six all-NBA and seven all-defensive teams show how well regarded he was.

Until 2014 ... Unless the Mayans were right.

No comments:

Post a Comment