Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Ultimate Power Rankings - Part Two

As mentioned here, I'm doing a break down of all 92 professional teams across the NFL, NBA and MLB, ranking them first to 92nd in terms of who is going to have me rooting for them. In our first installment, we looked at the current power rankings within the Holy Trinity (Bears, Bulls, Cubs). Some have asked me why the Bears are first, and the ultimate question of "shouldn't you rank them according to who you'd rather see win it all?" That's a tough one. There is no doubt I'd rather see the Cubs win it all ... I mean, over 100 years of futility can't be ignored, right? ... but I'd be more likely to watch a Bears game if a Cubs game was on against it. That's the power of the NFL kids.

Anyway, for our second installment we look at the second tier of teams. This group is entitled "the emotional ties" because all of them have a special place in my heart, although none of them happen to be from the city of Chicago, so it's highly unlikely that any of them will leapfrog any of the trinity teams. Although, for a period of time there the Bulls would have had a hard time fending off a few of these teams. Anyway, we will break this group down, power poll spots 4-6, using the same logic we did last time:

The Emotional Ties

4. Pittsburgh Steelers

The Pros: in 2006, when all seemed lost as a Colts juggernaut steamrolled the league, the little six seed that could toppled them (leading to Manning infamously throwing his offensive line under the bus). Pittsburgh forever earned a special place in my heart for that, and would have doubled my love for them if they could have thwarted the evil Packers in last year's super bowl. But Pittsburgh also ranks this high for some other reasons. First, they play football the way it's supposed to be played: running the ball, tough defense, and with an identity. I love the Rooney family, and respect the city. I love that they've had three head coaches since the start of the 1969 season. That's right, forty two years (and counting) and three coaches. That's stability and honor. And it's what you get when you hire competent coaches (I'm looking at you Mike McCaskey and company). Finally, my own grandfather had a cup of coffee with the Steelers in 1948, which gives the family heritage angle some credence. Not too bad.

The Cons: Well ... I jinxed the possibility that it'd face this last year with my infamous "two tickets to paradise" post, but I suppose that the biggest con is that I love the Steelers so much that I'd prefer that the Bears never have to play them. Don't get me wrong, the Bears are the firm number one in my book, but it's kind like when you fall in love with a girl, she breaks your heart, you eventually find another girl, and you'd just assume that you never get put in a situation where they are both present, at the same time, vying for your attention. The Steelers are the only team that can compete with the trinity, and there's a lot of reasons for that. Beyond that, Big Ben is a bit of a tool. Although I think he got married this offseason, so maybe he's not going to be chasing tail in bar bathrooms anymore. Because we all know that athletes stop chasing tail as soon as they get married. Right Tiger? Also, they let the stupid cheese heads win the Super Bowl last year. Which was decidedly not cool.

The Verdict: Pittsburgh Steelers football is a way of life for a number of people. A former flame of mine lives in the heart of Steelers country right now, and blissfully reported that Steelers fans are awesome, and that it's just like being with Chicago fans. I have a Steelers jersey with my grandfather's old college football number on it, and my name on it. I cherish my Steelers hat. If the Bears can't win, I want the Steelers to take it down.

5. New Orleans Saints

The Pros: Remember what I said about Pittsburgh toppling Indy in 2006? That goes ten fold for the Saints beating the stupid Colts in 2010. Then there was the aspect of the death blow being dealt by a former Indiana Hoosier corner back, Tracy Porter, who played at IU all four years I went to IU. (Do I have a Saints Super Bowl Jersey of Tracy Porter? You're damn right I do!) But, as with Pittsburgh, it goes so much deeper than the toppling of the hated Colts. I remember back in 1999 when I bought my first (and only) New Orleans Saints hat. It was marked down, dirt cheap, in the Ft. Wayne mall. I bought it because Mike Ditka was the new coach of the Saints. It did not fit my head. By 2005 it fit my head, and I wore it to the Gulf Coast nine times to work on rebuilding the coast following Hurricane Katrina. I saw how much the Saints meant to the Coast. And I know how much their championship meant to the region. The Saints are an emotional connection because of Mississippi and New Orleans.

The Cons: well, at least I also have no issues rooting for them to get taken out by Chicago. I've proven that a few times. If the Bears and Saints play I'll be up in my Urlacher jersey, hoping they take Brees out. The only real con here is that the Saints are set up better than the Bears. I wish we had their management and coaching team.

The Verdict: another team that pulls at the heart, and another team that has saved me from imminent doom. I find it interesting that the Bears couldn't stop the Colts, but my number four and five teams could. Screw you too Rex Grossman. But on the topic of the Saints, they'll never have the undying love I have for Pittsburgh, but they won't be too far behind either because every time I pull out that Saints hat and look at the fade due to the time spent in the sun, and the rings of sweat that can't come out of the band, I'll think of those days on the coast, and I'll smile. And I'll think of Tracy Porter picking Manning. Hell Yeah.

6. Dallas Mavericks

The Pros: "Help us Dirk Nowitski. You're our only hope." I wrote those words after Miami beat Chicago in the eastern conference finals this year. He listened. That means a lot. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Dallas, probably because my uncle gave me a Dallas Mavs hat and a Jamal Mashburn t-shirt at a very young age. The Mavs were terrible when I was growing up, but Mark Cuban changed all that, and you should know that I love Cuban. I wish MLB had let him buy the Cubs. Cuban is everything I'd probably be if I was a billionaire owner of a sports team. Which is to say, a loudmouth blowhard who spares no expense on his team, can't stop yelling at referees who can't call games, and gets into trouble with the sport's commissioner. Yeah, that about sums it up. But you can't tell me Cuban doesn't want to win. And that's what I want out of my owner: someone who wants to win, no matter the cost or the odds. When I was growing up it was unthinkable that the Mavericks would win the NBA title. They just did. Because of Cuban. 'Nuff said.

The Cons: I'm not a huge fan of Dirk; he's good, but his lack of defense annoys me. Also, Jason Terry is like the annoying gnat of the NBA; you want to swat him away, but he keeps coming back, showing you his tattoo, and annoying you.

The Verdict: This team saved us from a Miami Heat title in year one of the "Big Three" era ... which is worth it's price in gold. As I've said before, the Heat will win a title. LeBron, like Peyton, is just too good to not win one by accident. But it would have sucked if they had taken it down in year one. It would have justified all the terrible moves LeBron made in the past year. The Mavs showed him for what he is. They have earned my respect, if nothing else, for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment