Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Songs That Have Defined My Life - I Swear ... That I Liked This Song

Just because I have to entertain my brother...

Artist: All 4 One
Song: I Swear
Year: 1994





Why This Song?: Well ... as mentioned before, I don't get to sleep easily, and so when I was growing up I did the radio thing. Every single night. This song held a solid spot on the top 9 at 9. Additionally, I'd like to say that I enjoyed the lyrics. But really I was a young kid who was brainwashed by pop radio. This song isn't even an original song; it's a cover of a country song by John Michael Montgomery. I, of course, wouldn't have known that in 1994 because I didn't listen to country. Still don't. But at the time I was a sucker, and the 11 week run as the #1 song in America was enough to draw me in.

Lyric That Stuck Out Back Then: Man, with so many deep lyrics, how could I have settled on one? Let's go with "I swear by the moon and the stars in the sky." I like astronomy.

Lyric That Stands Out Now: I'm going to say the line about love not aging at all. That's a nice concept.

Thing That Surprised Me: Okay, well this band is still together apparently, which brings me back to my first point: I really need to start my own band. Like great generals, bands apparently never die if they have at least one hit. They just play smaller and smaller venues. But beyond that, this song won the Grammy for best performance. All those years I was ridiculed for liking this song by my own brother, and it was named the best song of the year!

Final Evaluation: Okay, the song is a "great love song." Does that make me a complete sap for still humming it quietly when I hear it on the radio? I don't know. I also listen to 2pac if that helps cancel this out. I feel like it should. On the whole this is a cover of a crappy country song, giving it a Boys II Men feel. It just should have been done by Boys II Men. The All 4 One guys were kinda wussy, which never helped. And they seemed like a complete rip off of the Boys II Men guys. Still, they were better than the boy bands that followed. I'll give it a 7/10 in hindsight, but I wouldn't be sad if someone played this at my wedding. Although I'd pretend to be. I'd also punch whoever told the DJ to play it. Don't forget that. I'm now going to bust out my All 4 One cassette tapes...

No comments:

Post a Comment