Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Ultimate Power Rankings - Part 1

Did you know that there are ninety two professional sports franchises in the three big leagues (the NBA, the MLB and the NFL)? And, did you know, that I’ve never before given all these teams there due by letting them know where they stood with me? I mean, sure, the Colts know that they’ve been at the bottom for a long time, and the Packers, Pistons, White Sox, Pacers, and Cardinals could probably figure out that they weren’t exactly in the running for my favorite teams. And, yes, the three real Chicago teams (the Bears, the Bulls and the Cubs) could probably figure out that they’ve been competing for the top spot for my life as a sports fan. But I fear that I’ve done an injustice to those lost in the middle: the teams that fight day in and day out to move up or down and get noticed. Well, never fear Kansas City (Royals or Chiefs), and fret no more Cleveland (did the Cavs fold after LeBron left?). The time is here, and I’m going to unveil my ultimate power rankings. We will do this in twelve segments, with each grouping being explained, and with each team being examined. First up, the key group, the Holy Trinity.

The Holy Trinity

1. Chicago Bears

The Pros: the Bears, the team which brings the entire city of Chicago together, are a dynamo when you live in the Midwest. Bears football defines much of what we do, and what we love. They are the Monsters of the Midway, they are fierce and fearless, and they make us beam with pride. The history is there: George Halas, Papa Bear himself. The icons are numerous: George, Sayers, Butkis, Grange, Payton, Singletary, Hampton, Dent, and Urlacher to name a few. One of two charter franchises which remain. More Hall of Fame inductees than anyone. More championships than anyone but the Packers. The Bears are the home to the 1985 team which was by all account (that I wish to listen to) the greatest team to ever play the game. The numbers back it up, and the defense personified the city and the fan base. Being a Bears fan is otherworldly; get in a room with a bunch of true Bears fans, and there is nothing like it.

The Cons: at current time, the Bears are riddled with terrible coaching, beyond terrible management, and a propensity for cheap that belittles their huge revenue streams. Only Chicago would look at last year and think “we’ve gotta extend Lovie.” Only Chicago would have lost the NFC championship game by having Todd Collins as the backup to Jay Cutler. Only in Chicago.

The Verdict: as this is the first year that I’ve done these rankings, the Bears are the first time champs. Still, they have been in the one or two spot since 1999. In fact, I’d have to say that the Bears have probably held this spot more than any other team, so it’s befitting that they are the first official champs.

2. Chicago Cubs

The Pros: Wrigley Field is like Mecca for baseball fans. You go, and you suddenly transport back in time to a simpler time. Beyond that, there is the heritage, and the undying belief that we will get to see the championship drought end in our life time. It’s alluring, and the heartbreak can’t drive you away, it only draws you further in. My grandfather lived his entire life a Cubs fan and never saw them win the World Series. Needless to say, Eddie Vedder got it right when he opined “when the day comes with that last winning run and I’m crying and covered in beer, I’ll look to the sky and know I was right to think ‘someday we’ll go all the way.’”

The Cons: Management that typically makes the Bears management look brilliant in comparison. Moments that truly take it out of you and make you wonder why you even care (2003 as the prime example). Alphonso Soriano. Need I say more?

The Verdict: The Cubs undoubtedly would have held the top spot in 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008 and 2009. The history, the mystique, and the fact that going to baseball games live is the best sports experience out there gives them a boost. When they finally do win it, I know that I’ll be crying, and I’m going to do everything possible to be around the stadium (if not in it) when it happens. The Cubs are a patch you wear on your shoulder, realizing the disappointment, but hoping for future investment. And I’m pissed they didn’t trade away more at the deadline. But such is life. All you really need to know is that I got goosebumps walking into Wrigley Field for a Dave Matthews Band show. It has that kind of aura.

3. Chicago Bulls

The Pros: The legacy of Michael Jeffery Jordan, the greatest there ever was, and the greatest there ever will be. Sometimes, when I’m having a rough day, I’ll load up a youtube clip of MJ winning his last game as a Bull. It always helps. Beyond that, this team is the most likely to win a championship soon out of the Holy Trinity teams, and the management seems downright brilliant when compared with Angelo and Hendry. Derrick Rose is a genuine franchise cornerstone, which both the Bears and Cubs are lacking. On the whole, the Bulls have got to be pretty disappointed that they were not higher than here. Well, I was pretty disappointed that they waited until the series was over to put in Kurt Thomas and start playing physical with the Heat. But it was close.

The Cons: in present time, very few. But there was Krause blowing up the championship Bulls out of an exercise in ego. There was the drought between 1998 and 2011. There was the mismanagement of Curry, Chandler, Williams, Brand and every other player during that time. There was Tim frickin’ Floyd. And, through no fault of their own, there was the fact that the NBA was damn near dead to me for the better part of the last decade, before rising like the phoenix this last year. You can thank Rose for that, and, in a weird way, you can thank LeBron too.

The Verdict: If I was honest I’d say I was aware of sports around the 1992 for the first time. The Bulls were my first love. If I was going to retroactively give out these rankings, the Bulls would have been solidly in first (with not a whole lot of competition) from 1992 until 1998. That’s seven straight, and it’s impressive. But when they forced MJ out, and when the NBA went, as one faithful reader likes to say, “Gangsta Ball” on me, I lost interest, and the Bulls took a hit. It’s wonderful to have them back. If the NBA can avoid having their officials throw more games I watch, they might even stand a chance of climbing up the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment