Wednesday, January 13, 2010

NFL - Divisional Round Picks

Oh and four. Just think about that. I've been picking NFL playoff games for over a decade now, and I've never gone 0-4 picking games in the NFL playoff. So, how did it happen? What did I learn?

Glad you asked:

- I was right about two road teams winning, but wrong about which teams it would be
- The Cards continue to beat me up, as I have now picked against them five straight playoff games, and they have proven me wrong four times
- The Cowboys may be really good
- You still need to run the ball to win in the playoffs

That last point was driven home in three of the four games. So, without as much detail as last week, here are this weeks picks.


Arizona Cardinals at New Orleans Saints

One thing I am sure of is that this will be a high scoring game, with lots of passing. The Saints finished the year losing their last three games, but it's tradition now to pick against the Cards in the playoffs. You're welcome Arizona fans (all three of you):

Saints 40 - Cardinals 32

Baltimore Ravens at Indianapolis Colts

Three times this decade the Colts were the number one seed and rested their starters. Three times they lost their first game. They will be rusty, and Baltimore has a defense to help them get up early, and a running game to put the Colts away. But in a year that I went 0-4 in the first round, I just don't feel the good fortune of a Colts loss. In fact, this feels like the Ravens holding on to a 6 point lead, giving Manning the ball with 2 minutes left, and then watching him win the game, succeeding where he has failed so many times before. Man, I hate the Colts. Here's to hoping I get this one wrong:

Colts 24 - Ravens 23


Dallas Cowboys at Minnesota Vikings

I will be in Dallas for this game; the team, of course, will be in Minnesota. I can see this game going either way. If the Minnesota offensive line can't contain the Dallas front seven any better than Philly did last week this may not be much of a game. Still, Minnesota can run, which is something Philly clearly could not do. In another matchup of uninspiring coaches, I see this game coming down to who is more mistake prone. Sadly, it's Minnesota, with Favre's penchant for throwing when he shouldn't, and Peterson's habit of fumbling. I'd really rather both these teams lose:

Cowboys 34 - ViQueens 30


New York Jets at San Diego Chargers

The Jets D is scary good against the pass, and the Chargers offense is scary bad when running. Not a good matchup on paper. But again and again I come back to the Chargers as the most logical team to win it all. I hope I'm not jinxing them:

Chargers 27 - Jets 13

No comments:

Post a Comment