Friday, February 3, 2017

Appreciating Greatness

Growing up in the Jordan era, and as a Bulls fan, I have a great appreciation for greatness. It's why I tend to root for the more epic story when my team is already out of the running. I read this article, by Joe Posnanski, and it got me thinking about the insanely high level of achievement that Bill Belichick has achieved. This is the seventh Super Bowl qualifying team he has coached since 2001. In addition to those seven Super Bowl appearances, he has coached his team to the runner up spot in the AFC four more times. In addition to that, he has coached the team to the playoffs an additional three times. That is 14 playoff appearances since 2001, with his team failing to make the playoffs only twice: 2002 and 2008. Their record in those two years? 9-7 and 11-5 respectively. That's right: the two worst years out of the last sixteen years for the Patriots they had a combined record of 20-12. Put another way, the low points of the last sixteen years for the New England Patriots they have had a .625 winning percentage.

As a Bears fan that blows my mind. I ran into a Steelers fan the other day who made an off the cuff comment that his team should fire Mike Tomlin. Tomlin just finished his tenth year as the head coach of the Steelers. In that time his team has made two Super Bowls winning one. They have made the playoffs another five times. The remaining three years were 2009, 2012 and 2013. Their records in those years? 9-7, 8-8, and 8-8. A whole decade, making the playoffs 70% of the time, and never going below .500. And he was dreaming of a new coach. I told him that I'd happily take Tomlin as a Bears fan, but then I look at what Belichick has done and I think to myself that maybe that's what this Steelers fan was thinking. Because compared with New England, even Pittsburgh's last decade pales in comparison.

And so, here, on the Eve of the Super Bowl, as Belichick and Tom Brady go for their fifth Super Bowl title, I reflect on their greatness. There is no doubt that they push every envelope and look for whatever corner they can cut. But you point to their filming of other teams? I point to other teams that have done the same functional thing. You point to the laughable deflating of the footballs leading to the most undeserved suspension in the league's history? I point to Aaron Rodgers admitting that he likes the balls inflated beyond the legal limit, and no punishment heading his way. Ultimately, the league has punished the Patriots more harshly than any other team in professional sports recently, on flimsy evidence no less (and at best), and they have not only endured, they have been better than any other franchise in professional sports. That the Patriots have done this with the league seemingly gunning for them, and in an age of unprecedented parity no less, is nothing short of amazing. Love them or hate them, I don't see how it's possible to not respect what Belichick has done over the course of the last sixteen years, with only one constant: Tom Brady. Win or lose, this team and this duo is among the greatest in any sport. If they manage to win it? They take my top spot in the NFL without any question. Belichick might already be there regardless, but another win cements Brady as the Greatest Of All Time in my book, overtaking Montana. Let's go New England. This Bears fan is rooting for you.

The Pick: Patriots (-3) 34  - Falcons 27

No comments:

Post a Comment