Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Best of What's Around - Part 7

And ... we're back, just in time for the seventh (well, sixth) installment of everyone's favorite breakdown of my Dave Matthews Band concert experience. Just for good measure, I'll let you know that the phrase "and they have Soriano picked off" was just uttered on my TV, and I wasn't even remotely frustrated. I'm not sure if that is because A) I've lost all faith in him, B) I've lost all faith in the Cubs, or C) I'm very excited to get to Chicago for something that won't disappoint (unlike the Bears, Bulls and Cubs), but it's probably a combination of the three. Again, to just remind you, we score songs accordingly:

1 = A song that I would gladly go to get a beer, use the restroom, or do anything else that I needed to do during.
2 = A song that will make me want to stay in place, but that I'll hunt down the beer man during
3 = A song that I'll dance a little to, has moments I'll love, but that I'll talk to The Wiese or text during.
4 = A song I'll be totally lost in, and one which brings me the aforementioned joy and happiness.
5 = Epic; a top ten song, or such a rarity to hear live that I am going to lose control, and might knock someone over I'm dancing in such a crazy way. MJ almost got thrown over a balcony for one of these.

Now, to set the mood: in the late summer of 2009 things weren't looking the best for yours truly, so I concocted a plan to see DMB a third time that year in order to raise my spirits. Wouldn't you know, they conspired to help, adding an unexpected tour stop in the Chicagoland area, at Tinley Park, in late September. I was able to get a great crew together (The Wiese, Lis, Aud and company attended with, and Bows was with another group) but the crowned jewel was being able to take my brother to his first DMB show. Unfortunately, they don't allow tailgating at Tinley Park (who knew?) which is stupid ... but we still managed to have a good time. Dave had been struggling with his voice for a bit in the weeks leading up to the show, even having to cancel a show in Utah. So the discussion (after seeing Willie Nelson open for the band) was all about how Dave's voice would be. I opined that we would know how he was feeling by how daring he got with the first song. A tame song like Seek Up would be a good warm up, but if he came out with something intense we'd know he was ready to go. We got this:

1. Don't Drink The Water - 5
2. So Damn Lucky - 4
3. Squirm - 4
4. Gravedigger (w/ Willie Nelson) - 3
5. Shake Me Like A Monkey - 4
6. Seven - 3
7. One Sweet World - 4
8. Funny The Way It Is - 3
9. Lying in the Hands of God - 2
10. Recently - 3
11. The Song That Jane Likes - 4
12. Why I Am - 5
13. You and Me - 3
14. Dancing Nancies - 5
15. Spaceman - 3
16. Jimi Thing - 4
17. So Much To Say - 4
18. Anyone Seen The Bridge - 4
19. Too Much (Tease) - N/A
19. Ants Marching - 5
20. E: Baby Blue - 5
21. E: The Maker - 4
22. E: Grey Street - 4

A few notes:

- My first (and thus far only) Baby Blue was amazing. "Let's see if I can get this right" Dave said at the onset. He did. Tough, emotional song.
- A great mix of the old (One Sweet World, Song That Jane Likes, Recently) and new (all the Big Whiskey songs), with a few standards (Nancies, Grey Street, So Much To Say, Ants Marching)
- The sound system SUCKED at this show; there was feedback all night, and it just seemed like they had cruddy speakers.

So 22 total songs (Wow, long set), not counting the tease, for a total score of 85 gives us a concert score of 3.86. A high score, but it was a good show. If the sound system had been better, or we had been able to tailgate, or both, this show would probably be higher up on the list in my mind. Still, the ratings are what they are, and this show ranks in as such:



1. Noblesville 2009: Night 1 - 4.00
2. Tinley Park 2009 - 3.86
3. Noblesville 2009: Night 2 - 3.77
4. Assembly Hall 2008 - 3.71
5. Noblesville 2008 - 3.65
6. Noblesville 2007 - 3.43
7. Tinley Park 2006 - 3.32

Next up, we'll look at another double header in Noblesville that included a 2 hour delay via hail inducing thundershowers, a few extremely rare appearances from The Lillywhite Sessions, and a lot of hot sun. We are heading into the home stretch: six shows, all from 2010: 2 Noblesville, 2 Wrigley Field (including my first ever live concert release), and 2 Charlottesville, VA, AKA the birthplace of DMB. I know you're excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment