Sunday, July 3, 2011

The Best of What's Around - Part 2

If you missed part one of this series, click here. Otherwise, you'll know that I'm going to be spending some time breaking down my experience as a DMB concert goer, looking at each show to determine which were the best, and which were the worst. My first DMB show was at Tinley Park, IL in 2006. We now flash forward to 2007, Noblesville, and the last year I only saw DMB once. Again, we will use the following breakdown to evaluate the show, although it occurs to me that this limits it to just songs played, and not macro-level ambiance. I'll take that into account when I put all the scores against each other. Anyway, the scoring system:

1 = A song that I would gladly go to get a beer, use the restroom, or do anything else that I needed to do during.
2 = A song that will make me want to stay in place, but that I'll hunt down the beer man during
3 = A song that I'll dance a little to, has moments I'll love, but that I'll talk to The Wiese or text during.
4 = A song I'll be totally lost in, and one which brings me the aforementioned joy and happiness.
5 = Epic; a top ten song, or such a rarity to hear live that I am going to lose control, and might knock someone over I'm dancing in such a crazy way. MJ almost got thrown over a balcony for one of these.

Now to set the mood: 2007, summer. I was on my way to Chicago Bears training camp with my girlfriend, Holly, and we were stopped in our tracks by a phone call that my roommate found out we were being kicked out early. So we turned around and went on our way to Bloomington to move into our new house on super short notice. Thanks goodness our land lord was cool, otherwise we would have been screwed. Anyway, we were met by The Wiese in Bloomington, and he helped us move. Then, tired from the move, and exhausted by the intense heat, we packed in The Wiese's car, and prepared to drive up to Noblesville. He promised me that he'd drive back if I drove up, a deal which I gladly took him up on. We made it in plenty of time, and went into the show, The Wiese, Holly and me. Here's what we got the chance to see:

1. Seek Up - 5
2. #27 - 2
3. Hunger for the Great Light - 2
4. When The World Ends - 2
5. You Might Die Trying - 3
6. Grey Street - 4
7. Corn Bread - 4
8. Sweet Up And Down - 5
9. Sister - 2
10. Still Water (tease) - 2
11. Don't Drink The Water - 5
12. The Maker - 4
13. Louisiana Bayou - 1
14. Anyone Seen The Bridge > - 4
15. Too Much - 4
16. Shotgun - 4
17. Warehouse - 5
18. Stay - 4
19. E: Gravedigger - 3
20. E: Dreamgirl - 2
21. E: Tripping Billies - 5

Okay ... 21 songs, one 1 (Louisiana Bayou again) a handful of 2s, and then a bunch of 4s and 5s. This show was up and down for sure. Only two 3s in the entire show, indicating it was pretty hit or miss. So 21 songs, 72 total points, for an overall concert average of 3.43. With Tinley Park 2006 ranking in at 3.32, our standings look like this so far:

1. Noblesville 2007 - 3.43
2. Tinley Park 2006 - 3.32

Next time, we look at the Obama Benefit at Assembly Hall that Dave and Tim played, and then Noblesville 2008. Until then, just know that I'm finalizing plans to go to NYC to see DMB this summer playing Governor's Island. Yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment