Sunday, March 14, 2010

March Madness - 2010

Welcome to the NCAA tournament! After a rough month with nothing of consequence in sports occurring (probably the roughest month in sports, with a special acknowledgment going to that God-awful day after the Baseball All-Star game when there is nothing remotely of consequence going on), here we are, brackets in hand, ready to make fools of ourselves. So, I'll gladly dive right in to be the first to do so!

A few things you might notice when you pick up this bracket:

- my number one team (Indiana) is nowhere to be seen, and won't even make the NIT. Kelvin Sampson, please pick up the crap sandwich in your office; it is a to scale replica of the one you left in THE Assembly Hall.
- my number two team (North Carolina) is also nowhere to be seen. Graduating a great team can be rough on one's talent level, but this was a pretty ugly fall. Here's to hoping that both these iconic giants will be back next year.
- my number one arch-nemesis (PurDon't) has fallen precipitously from a probable number one, all the way to a number four seed ... and they get a good Siena team in the first round to boot! Here's to hoping that Bruce the Bitch disciple Matt Painter will follow in the great tradition of Gene Keady and get bounced super-duper early this year! The way Minnesota treated them yesterday, it looks entirely possible.
- my number two arch-nemesis (Illinois) didn't even qualify. Bruce Web(b)er is a special: you don't even realize how incorrigible the man is until you've seen him live, seen him complain throughout the entire game and stomp his feet anytime something doesn't go his way. One has to wonder how much longer Illinois will let him ride on the coattails of that amazing 2005 team.

So as I look over the bracket I see that I: A) have no horse in this race; B) really just want PurDon't to replicate their performance from yesterday on March 26th. Beyond that, John Calipari is a sleeze-bag, so I'm not going to be pulling for Kentucky. Bill Self isn't much better, so rooting for Kentucky isn't too likely either. I do like Jim Boeheim a bit, so Syracuse wouldn't be too far down my list ... but they got a rough draw. What to make of all this? Here's what I think:

MIDWEST REGION

(1) Kansas over (16) Lehigh - because the 16s haven't done it yet, and I don't think they'll start here

(9) Northern Iowa over (9) UNLV - because 9s tend to beat 8s, and UNLV seems to still carry the stink of Jerry Tarkanian ... which does not bode well at all for my beloved Hoosiers...

(5) Michigan State over (12) New Mexico State - because Tom Izzo is one of the best, and generally always has his teams ready to go

(4) Maryland over (13) Houston - Houston has some momentum, making the tourney for the first time in a long time. But Maryland seems too logical here. This one does have some appeal as a potential upset, but not enough

(6) Tennessee over (11) San Diego St. - Another potential upset pick here, but Bruce Pearl generally has his team ready to go, and they have more talent.

(3) Georgetown over (14) Ohio - Does anyone else think it's interesting that Georgetown has basically become a Monarchy of Thompson's?

(10) Georgia Tech over (10) Oklahoma St. - because I'm antsy to take another underdog at this point...

(2) Ohio State over (15) UC Santa Barbara - because I love Evan Turner, and think this OSU team ... as much as I don't like Ohio State much ... might just have what it takes. Tough break for them being put in the same bracket as Kansas.

MIDWEST REGION 2nd Round

(1) Kansas over (9) Northern Iowa - because Kansas is just too good

(5) Michigan State over (4) Maryland - because Michigan State is too well coached, and always prepared

(3) Georgetown over (6) Tennessee - because the Big East is a tough conference, and Georgetown proved they could hang with the big boys

(2) Ohio State over (10) Georgia Tech - Listen ... not enough has been made of Evan Turner this year. I think, with his toughness, he will make a tremendous pro. He's not going out this early. Oh, and Thad Motta is one heck of a coach too.

Midwest Region - Sweet 16

(1) Kansas over (5) Michigan State - MSU could give Kansas a run for their money here if Self doesn't have his guys prepared. Izzo can coach circles around Self in a vacuum, but Self has way too much talent. Kansas prevails...

(2) Ohio State over (3) Georgetown - My man crush on Evan Turner aside, I love the way OSU has been playing. This will be a tough game, but they are a tough team and Turner will be the best player on the court.

Midwest Region - Elite 8

(1) Kansas over (2) Ohio State - Asking Bill Self to out-coach two straight superior talents is asking a bunch. I want to pick Ohio State here; I really do. But Kansas just has so much talent, and they seem to be peaking and playing well together. They are the number one overall seed for a reason. I hope I'm wrong here.

WEST REGION

(1) Syracuse over (16) Vermont - Vermont is division one?

(8) Gonzaga over (9) Florida State - Tough draw for the Zags, but that's what happens when you blow your own joke of a conference tourney. In other news, did anyone else know that Florida State had other sports programs besides football?

(5) Butler over (12) UTEP - Let me tell you what I've seen from this Butler team: tough as nails D, enough shooters to get by, and determination. I really like them, but putting them in the same draw with Syracuse, Gonzaga and Vandy is just dirty.

(4) Vanderbilt over (13) Murray St. - Vandy shouldn't have issues here...

(6) Xavier over (11) Minnesota - Tubby Smith's team handled Purdue with ease, but I like Xavier just because that is an awesome name. Sometimes it's that simple, unless you actually follow college basketball closely. Minnesota could easily win this game, but they kind of looked just happy to be there during the Big Ten Championship game.

(3) Pittsburgh over (14) Oakland - Something I didn't know before: evidently "Oakland" is from Michigan.

(10) Florida over (7) BYU - Brigham Young always seems to do me in because I rotate on them yearly: one year I'll fall in love with their superior record and they'll get it handed to them, the next year I'll say "not this time" and they win. At least it seems that way. Not this time ...

(2) Kansas State over (15) North Texas - Let's just say that I think Kansas State is really good. Too bad they can't beat Kansas...

MIDWEST REGION - 2nd round

(1) Syracuse over (8) Gonzaga - I think Gonzaga has the horses to win this one, but they just blew their own weak conference tourney, and Syracuse is a really good team that plays the zone as well as anyone. Should be a close game, however.

(5) Butler over (4) Vanderbilt - See above; I like this Butler team

(3) Pittsburgh over (6) Xavier - No matter who survives the first round, the X-men or Minnesota, I think Pitt takes them out here.

(2) Kansas State over (10) Florida - Too much talent, and Joakim Noah isn't walking through that door. Of course, he isn't walking through the door at the United Center either due to an injury. But you get the point.

MIDWEST REGION - Sweet 16

(5) Butler over (1) Syracuse - Maybe I love defense too much, but this team can play D. In a year with no discernible powerhouse, could this be the year of the mid-majors?

(2) Kansas State over (3) Pittsburgh - I don't like it, but Kansas State may make it their business to lose to Kansas a 4th time this year.

MIDWEST REGION - Elite 8

(2) Kansas State over (5) Butler - These cinderella runs always seem to end abruptly, and in unsatisfying fashion...

EAST REGION

(1) Kentucky over (16) East Tenn. State - Why wasn't it legal for Sampson to cheat and it is for Calipari to cheat? You've got me, but at least we're back on the path of the tradition of one of the NCAA's cleanest programs. Kentucky isn't.

(8) Texas over (9) Wake Forest - I haven't heard about Wake this year, which may be good for them since they seem to flame out every time I have heard about them (Duncan, Chris Paul come to mind). Still, Texas should be able to handle them.

(12) Cornell over (5) Temple - I've got it on good information that Cornell is good this year. Really good. Now we get to see how good my source is.

(4) Wisconsin over (13) Wafford - Wafford ... that's a new one. Wisconsin, coached by the excellent Bo Ryan, is a team that normally manages to play Big Ten ball (tough D, slow it down, grind it out) with some success in the big dance.

(11) Washington over (6) Marquette - this seems like a really low seed for a team that went 24-9 out of a major conference (Pac-10). Just doesn't seem right ....

(3) New Mexico over (14) Montana - I love Montana ... the state that is. Nice place. You can really see the stars out there ... not unlike New Mexico! Very high seed for a New Mexico team; let's see if they can validate it.

(10) Missouri over (7) Clemson - Just a hunch ...

(2) West Virginia over (15) Morgan State - I just can't see a Big East powerhouse choking this early

EAST REGION - 2nd Round

(1) Kentucky over (8) Texas - "John Calipari, you've got Memphis fans on line one. They'd like to know if you really loved them, or if that was the same way you loved UMass before you screwed them too."

(12) Cornell over (4) Wisconsin - because we need a Cinderella story

(11) Washington over (3) New Mexico - Something just doesn't seem right about Washington's seed, I'm telling you. Did I miss the part where they lost their last nine games or something? Should I research this? I probably should, shouldn't I? Oh well ...

(2) West Virginia over (10) Missouri - Big East tough ... other conferences not so tough ... ugh

EAST REGION - Sweet 16

(1) Kentucky over (12) Cornell - Underrated possibility: Kentucky has all this talent, but almost got dropped today in the SEC Championship. Maybe they don't know how to play together ... not unlike a few Memphis teams I seem to recall from years past! I hope I'm wrong here...

(2) West Virginia over (11) Washington - Yeah, time to hedge my bets ...

EAST REGION - Elite 8

(1) Kentucky over (2) West Virginia - too much talent ... can't stop Calipari ... too effective at breaking the rules ...

SOUTH REGION

(1) Duke over (16) Ark-PB or Winthrop - Let me go on record as saying I never believe in Duke, and this year is no exception. I have absolute confidence that bias will bite me in the rear before I'm done with this region.

(8) California over (9) Louisville - Any other year I'd take Louisville. This year, with the Pitino stuff, I can't. Seems like a logical one and done.

(5) Texas A&M over (12) Utah St. - Almost put Utah St winning this one, but decided I'd wait for other picks to be crazy.

(13) Siena over (4) West Lafayette Ladies - "God? It's me, Mike. I just wanted to thank you for all you've done for me lately. Great job, nice weather, wonderful family. That INT for TD in the Super Bowl was awesome as well; thanks for letting Tracy Porter have the athleticism to jump that route. So, while we're talking about sports, I was just wondering ..."

(6) Notre Dame over (11) Old Dominion - Always thought I'd like to go to a school with a name like "Old Dominion." Just pretty cool. Anyway, driving back from a conference I listened to about two hours of sports radio. The argument? Is Luke Harangody an all-time college basketball great. Seth Davis (who has a PHD in tool) was arguing that he was. The guys on The Score were saying no. For once I agreed with the guys on 670 out of Chicago. Even though they root for the White Sox.

(3) Baylor over (14) Sam Houston State - Baylor is sneaky good ...

(10) St. Mary's over (7) Richmond - I think St. Mary's beat Gonzaga ...

(2) Villanova over (15) Robert Morris - Is the Big East this good?

SOUTH REGION - 2nd Round

(1) Duke over (8) California - Not yet...

(13) Siena over (5) Texas A&M - See, I told you I really liked Siena, and that it wasn't just an anti-PurDon't thing. This will make it that much more awful if Painter's ... boys ... manage to win.

(3) Baylor over (6) Notre Dame - This should be a really good game, if it happens.

(2) Villanova over (10) St. Mary's - Hey look! Same result as Gonzaga!

SOUTH REGION - Sweet 16

(13) Siena over (1) Duke - There it is! I knew my Duke bias would bite me! Just like my Purdue one did! Awesome! I knew my faults would come through for me! (If Siena isn't any good I can at least take solace in the fact I didn't watch much college basketball this year. And that Seth Davis is a tool).

(3) Baylor over (2) Villanova - Just a hunch

SOUTH REGION - Elite 8

(3) Baylor over (13) Sienna - Yeah, if we actually end up with these two matching up here I'll eat my hat. Hope I'm right about this whole "year of the underdog" thing.



So that would leave us with the following final four:

- Kansas V Kansas State

- Kentucky V Baylor

I'd like Kansas and Kentucky in that one, and then Kansas over Kentucky. In other words, I think my subconscious hates me. Self! Calipari! A sleezebag matchup of epic proportion, NEXT ON CBS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment