Friday, April 1, 2011

April Fool's Day

I could go on for thousands of words trying to sum up the feelings of yet another opening day, but ultimately I'd fall short. People who root for other teams don't understand what it's like to bleed Cubbie Blue, nor the religious experience it is to walk into Wrigley Field and imagine, just for a moment, what it will be like that magical day when the drought is over, the curse is broken, and the Cubs win it all. I haven't been able to find one pundit, one expert who thinks this year will end any differently than the last 102 for my Cubs. But something, right now, tells me the experts are wrong. Their is talent on this team, starting first and foremost with a pitching staff that may not have Holiday, Lee, Oswalt and Hamels ... but does have four pitchers who can win 15+, and a young man with plenty of potential in Andrew Cashner. Hitting in the NL, Carlos Pena can easily hit .250 ... with 40 home runs. We have young talent. And it's been quite awhile since we could say that. Plus, Kerry Wood is back in town, which always warms my heart. For today, I believe. I know it's possible that we could outlast the Cards, beat up as they are, and the Brewers, inconsistent as they are ... and the Reds, because Dusty will ruin that pitching staff too. As they said on Bleacher Nation: today I choose to be an April fool. As always, nothing sums up the experience of being a Cubs fan quite like Eddie Vedder's anthem. The team in the video is outdated by a few years, but the sentiment is eternal.

I believe. Do you?



No comments:

Post a Comment