Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Quick Hits - A Great Read, Plus ...

I'm happy to hear that a number of you enjoyed the picture diary which covered the trip to Washington D.C. I will have day five (Museum of Natural History and Game 4 of the Cubs - Nats) as well as day six (the journey home: a look at Antietam National Battlefield) up by the end of the week if all goes well. As you might expect, I'm swamped with reality getting back from vacation. The real world, it seems, never waits for you to be ready for it. It keeps on moving without you.

Needless to say, this trip was made that much better by the fact that I had the chance to share it with my father. He kept up with me the whole time, and we saw more in a handful of days than most people would see in two weeks if I had to guess. It was one to remember, and the pictures I shared with you, and will share again later this week, are a small sample of nearly 1,000 pictures which were taken. There's evidence of this trip aplenty.

On to some quick thoughts and observations:

- Is Sonya Sotomayor a controversial figure, or is the GOP making her out to be one when she really isn't? I'm not going to draw conclusions here, but just consider the Clarence Thomas confirmation hearings, as well as the works of Antonin Scalia. If she's controversial, she'll certainly fit in with some of her more conservative brethren.

- This article, by Bill Simmons, is spectacular. I've enjoyed following his career, and I'm glad he's not doing ESPN Mag columns anymore. He's right: the space never really suited him, although he did his best. Simmons is one of a kind, and continues to secure his place as my favorite sportswriter. Congratulations to The Sports Dad as well. Sounds like he's a good man.

- The Cubs record with my dad and I in attendance this year: 4-0. Last night they lost 10-1. We are accepting donations to follow the club the rest of the year.

- Michael Vick has served his time, and he should eventually be allowed to attempt a return to the NFL. If rehabilitation is the end goal of this country's criminal justice system, then we have to give him a chance. This article, by Chris Mortenson, however, makes a good argument that a test run in the UFL this fall might be the best option.

- Finally, in his article Simmons says something I've long noted: we expect professional athletes to walk away at their peak, when they still have half their life left to live. If you think about it like that it makes the Brett Favre's, Michael Jordan's and others of the world make more sense. It explains why Tom Glavine was trying to hold on this year. It makes you wonder what you'd do if you were in their shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment